Saturday 15 December 2012

I get asked a lot about my equipment (so to speak) so I'll go through what I use one by one, I hope that helps. I don't make a big fuss about mouthpieces... I prefer to practice... although I understand the yearning for something different. When I first started on alto I went through about 10 pieces, its all part of the learning process. Sometimes its best to work with what you have :-)

I would say though that the "Link" sound is what floats my boat, not the harder and edgier
 "slant" sound, the softer Getzier tone. I can't find that from any other piece. Yes, they are stuffy, yes, they are very reed picky..... but that sound!!!!!! 

Tenor Sax = Selmer Reference 36 with a standard (not vintage) Otto Link Hard Rubber Tone Edge 7 or more recently 7* opening with a vandoren Masters Ligature and Rico Jazz Select 3M reeds

Soprano = Cannonball Stone Series with an Otto Link Hard Rubber Tone Edge 6* cheapo ligature with Rico Royal 3 reeds

Alto= Bauhaus Walstein Phosphor Bronze with a Selmer C* or Soloist E facing. Alexander DC 3 reeds

Flute is a Yamaha 281. Guitar is a Guild X-150 Jazzer!

Recording: 2011 iMac running Logic Express. 2009 Alesis io14 firewire interface. Rode NT2a microphone. Sennheiser HD280

Camera, either iMac isight or Canon EOS600d for youtube videos.   

3 comments:

  1. Hello Matt!

    I have to agree with the mpc choice. After 30+ years as a Dukoff + Mk7 guy, I traded out the Mk7 for a Super 20, then went looking for a mpc. I'm playing an OL STM NY 7. This give a nice HUGE, dark sound. The low notes pop right out. Reed? Legere #2. I've play tested about 8 different brands over the last year, and about as many mpcs. This works. My other fav for a bit brighter sound a Vandoren T75 or 77. Good luck, and nice playing.

    Ted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ted, I have not tried a legere yet, but I must! I love vandoren mouthpieces, my only criticism of them is that they lack a personality, if that makes sense. Yet to find top notes as rich as with a good old fat chambered link :-)

      Delete
  2. Salve Matthew, sei un grande, che suono favoloso, posso chiederti il set up che usi nel soprano?
    Grazie
    Mail pollicita.filippo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete